What is a moving company?
In very simple terms, a moving company is a business entity that helps people relocate from one location to another. A reputable moving company provides numerous services such as: packing, loading, transporting, unloading and unpacking household goods. Some moving companies also provide cleaning services and warehouse facilities.
Things to look for in a moving company:
So you’ve made a decision to hire a moving company to or from Louisville. What should you do before entrusting your precious and often expensive household items to complete strangers? Do your homework prior to signing that contract.
Do your research:
- Check the registration number: It is mandatory for every moving company in Kentucky to register with the Government authorities such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Verify credentials: Read online customer reviews, as well as obtaining references from people who have already hired them.
- Ask for their rates and compare them: The moving company should have a transparent pricing policy. Their rates should be comparable within the same industry. By asking questions you can judge whether the company is genuine or just a fly-by-night operator.
- Check credentials of subcontractors: Sometimes the moving company may outsource the job to subcontractors in or outside of Louisville. You should ascertain whether they do so by asking for specific details about the subcontractor used and then check his credentials.
- Hidden charges: Look out for hidden and additional charges. These could be in the mode of laundry charges, warehouse handling charges and so on. Have a clear idea as to what you’re paying for.
- Transshipment policy: Certain companies have an option of changing vehicles during transportation. Be sure to get all the necessary information regarding what this means for your move.
- Insurance: Usually moving companies include insurance charges in their fees. Be sure to know all the terms and conditions.
What is a moving pod?
If you choose not to use a moving company you have other options. One such option is a moving pod, or a container used to transport your goods.
- A moving pod is just a container. You will have to do the packing, loading, transporting, unloading and unpacking yourself.
- You have to arrange for insurance on your own whereas in case of companies, providing insurance is part of their services.
- For the most part moving pods in Louisville are cheaper than moving companies.
- You have complete control over your goods when using a moving pod. The same can’t be said if you decide to hire a moving company; your belongings will be at the mercy of complete strangers.